Saturday, September 28, 2013

Books Lately....

Travis and I just got back from a little vacay to the Gulf of Mexico in Florida. While it rained on and off pretty much every day (we managed to get out to the pool/beach in hour chunks before it started raining again), it was really nice to relax and not have any plans or much to do. We like vacation with no agendas.

Anyway, I have always been a big reader (I looooooved The Babysitters Club back in the day). I also am not a big fan of paying for books I will probably read once. I do buy books occasionally, especially now that I have a Kindle, but I mostly get books from the library (either Kindle or printed version.) 

So, before vacation, I hit up the library for a few books. I went a little overboard for a four night trip...

Obviously, I am mostly a fan of fiction, though I do like the occasional biography type book. 

I ended up bringing three of the books- The Bone Season, by Samantha Shannon, The Last Word by Lisa Lutz and the Gossip Girl one, by a ghostwriter....who knows (ETA- just looked it up, it's by Annabelle Vestry). 

Garlic and Sapphires, by Ruth Reichl- I read this one before we left. It was a fast read. She is the former restaurant reviewer for the New York Times. The book covered her transition and briefly touches on her troubles with old-school folks who think she's nuts for reviewing Asian food restaurants. I am glad she didn't go too much into complaining about mean letters from readers because, really, this seems like a pretty sweet job. It also made me want to try some more Asian food! I recommend for a quick read. She's fun. There's also some recipes included throughout. 

The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon- Apparently this book was hugely hyped in the UK, where Samantha is from (she's Irish, to be exact). She's also only 19 years old. This is another in the stream of dystopian novels featuring teenage girls. Though this book is aimed at adults, it seemed a bit more YA to me. I am a big fan of this genre, to be honest. I have always liked dystopian novels. I am not sure why because they generally aren't that uplifting! Maybe I am more into sci-fi than I think or something. 

Anyway, the book. It follows Paige, a clairvoyant in London where this sort of thing is real and very looked down upon. She is arrested and sent to a compound in Oxford where all the other clairvoyants are controlled by this odd alien race. Okay, this book sounds really weird now that I write that.  While it's not ground breaking, I enjoyed it and will definitely read the next one in the trilogy when it's published. 

The Last Word by Lisa Lutz- I started this one but couldn't get into it. It does seem like a fun, light read so I am going to give it another shot. 

Gossip Girl- Okay, I read this book in about 4 hours. It just fluff, but fun. 

Finally, I ended up buying a book on my Kindle as well, Divergent, by Veronica Roth. It's another dystopian novel featuring a teenage girl, surprise! I liked this one as well, and apparently there is a movie being made about it. It takes place in Chicago, where all people are sorted into "factions." The main character, Beatrice, is in the faction called Abegnation, where all people are selfless. When a person turns 16, they take a test and have an opportunity change factions, but can never see their family again. While most people end up testing into two factions, Beatrice tests into three, making her "Divergent," which apparently is a problem, and she's not allowed to tell anyone. She ends up choosing the brave faction, called Dauntless. Eventually, it's figured out she's Divergent, making her harder to control, and all hell breaks loose.

 I enjoyed the book. It was inventive and had a nice fast pace. I've already started on the second in the triology! Oh, and for the record, while I would like to think I'd be in Abegnation, I would probably end up in Amity faction. 

1 comment:

  1. I go to my library every week! So much better than buying. I keep meaning to start the Divergent series. I want to read it before I see the movie. Are you on Goodreads?

    ReplyDelete